About this blog


Clay Cross is a former mining town in North East Derbyshire, UK. In January 2010, work started on a major redevelopment project in the town centre. GMI Property Co. Ltd. have asked me to create a photographic record of the development, and how it changes the landscape, culture and people of the town. This blog is likely to be a diary of my activities over the next year or so.

For more information on the development see the quick links below. I've also created a Set on Flickr, where you will find a selection of the images I produce, and a Clay Cross Flickr group - see the quick links.

Saturday 8 May 2010













A tour of the site yesterday saw various amounts and types of piling going on. The vibro piler was in action on the main site. Over by Derby Road the traditional auger machine was being rigged ready for action, and it was working as I drove past today.
I get to talk to a lot of people, sometimes from inside the fence. A group of ladies posed for the camera. The guys running the vibro piling rig wanted to know what the chimneys at the side of Bridge Street were for, so I treated them to a very potted history of Clay Cross. The auger machine crew were from the Wakefield area.I met a man taking photographs from Bridge Street with a compact camera. He said he'd been to the open day and seen my images - nice. He didn't have access to the web, though. A man who lived round the back in Egstow Place said it was good not having the pallet yard any more, since it often caught fire. He quite liked the gabion wall. Next visit to the site will be at the end of May, but the blog will continue - lots to catch up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment